Sinking or Swimming into Adulthood: Understanding emerging adults and their development (Online Course)
This is an online CPD course offered by Vista Academy.
Presenter: Dr Rinet van Lil
HPCSA: 3 general CEUs (psychologists, registered counsellors, and psychometrists) and other relevant professionals (cross recognition of CEUs)
SACSSP: 1.5 CPD points
How an online CPD course works:
- Ensure that you have access to a device with a stable internet connection, screen and speakers (e.g. computer, laptop or smartphone).
- The course consists of 2 video lessons and a short quiz.
- Watch all of the lessons at your own pace, then go to the quiz and answer all of the questions.
- Attain a final mark of 70% or more (you are allowed 3 attempts).
- Complete the evaluation form within 14 days of completing the course (you will find it on the course page).
- Your certificate (also to be found on the course page) will then be available for download within 14 days of completing the course.
Although South Africans are considered adults at the age of 18, subjectively feeling like an adult can take much longer. The trend of a prolonged journey to achieve adult milestones gave rise to the emerging adult theory, which describes individuals aged 18 to 30, who are in the process of becoming adults.
Unlike previous generations, emerging adults today were raised in an age of information technology and they must enter an ever-changing labour market where they often bear the brunt of economic volatility. Emerging adults also have multiple options to approach relationships and family life. Since life-altering choices are often made during this developmental stage, it is foundational for the rest of adult life.
This presentation will address how adult developmental tasks have been influenced by a changing zeitgeist. Emerging adulthood will further be discussed with cognisance of the South African context and local knowledge. Practitioners will gain a better understanding of this population’s challenges and potential resources to help them swim rather than sink into adulthood.
NB: The attainment of CEUs or CPD points does not license any professional to practise outside of their scope or competency. CPD training is intended to broaden the knowledge of professionals and does not constitute professional training. The responsibility to practise within their relevant scope remains with the professional, regardless of what CPD training they attend.
The opinions and views expressed in this course are those of the independent presenter and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or views of Vista Academy and its employees or trustees.