Short Course in Mental Health Nursing for Registered Nurses | Module 3, Day 3 | 26 Feb 2020
Date: 26 February 2020
Time: 07:00 – 16:00
Venue: Baobab Room, Vista Clinic, 135 Gerhard Street, Centurion
|THEME 3 (DAY 3)
LEGAL ASPECTS OF MENTAL HEALTH NURSING
The Mental Health Care Act no. 17 of 2002 regulates mental health practice in South Africa. Other applicable acts and policies will also be considered. This theme will guide the mental health nurse to critically analyse governance excellence in her unit.
- Critically discuss and correctly apply in practise the Mental Health Care Act no. 17 of 2002 with reference to:
- Rights and duties relating to MHCU
- Voluntary, assisted and involuntary Mental Health Care
- State patients
- Mentally ill prisoners
- Review Boards
- Care and administration of property of a mentally ill person or persons with severe or profound intellectual disability.
- Critically discuss and apply in practice the preconditions stipulated in the Mental Health Care Act no. 17 of 2002 with reference to:
- The use of seclusion or restraint.
- Limitation of intimate adult relationships
- Discharge reports.
- Exploitation and abuse
- Critically discuss the anti-stigma measures that are evident in the Mental Health Care Act, no. 17 of 2002.
- Critically discuss and integrate into the psychiatric nursing practise other relevant Acts.