Short Course in Mental Health Nursing for Enrolled Nursing Auxiliaries | Module 1: Nursing Skills in a Psychiatric Environment
Date: 03 – 05 August 2020
Time: 07:00 – 16:00
Venue: Baobab Room, Vista Clinic, 135 Gerhard Street, Centurion
CPD points: The content of this workshop is presented in line with SANC’s proposed CPD guidelines. Once SANC has ratified its CPD guidelines and opened applications, Vista Academy will apply to have all workshops and short courses accredited for CPD points.
Out of stock
NB: Should delegates wish to attend only certain themes/days, they may contact us to make a special booking arrangement. A certificate will be received for each day attended.
|THEME 1 (DAY 1)
THERAPEUTIC USE OF SELF
The therapeutic use of self is important to ensure a quality relationship with the self and the mental health care user (MHCU). The aim of this theme is to get to know yourself better and to be able to recognise others people’s values and beliefs.
- Distinguish between beliefs and values that the nurse brings to the relationship.
- Debate the importance of self-awareness in the nurse-client relationship.
The nurse-patient relationship is the relationship that exists between the nurse and the patient. The purpose is to create an environment in which the MHCU feel safe and knows that the nurse always has their best interests at heart. The tools used in this relationship include certain attitudes and skills.
- Describe and demonstrate the attitudes essential to the therapeutic relationship, namely: empathy, unconditional acceptance, congruence, respect, trust and positive regard.
- Demonstrate the attitudes the nurse brings to the therapeutic relationship.
- Explain the important of boundary setting in the therapeutic relationship.
- Describe barriers to the therapeutic relationship.
- Explain the roles of the nurse in the therapeutic relationship.
|THEME 2 (DAY 2)
One of the key aspects of rendering a service of any sort is the ability to communicate effectively. Effective communication forms the foundation of all relationships, so we will find it is no different with the relationship of the nurse and the client.
- Identify the different components of communication.
- Identify the different types of communication.
- Interpret verbal and non-verbal messages in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Respond verbally and non-verbally to MHCUs’ messages.
|THEME 3 (DAY 3)
CONFLICT RESOLUTION AND MANAGEMENT
Conflict is part of daily life. Effective management can lead to a positive outcome. In theme four, conflict management styles will be identified. Management of the difficult and aggressive client will also be investigated.
- Define the concepts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of conflict resolution and management.
- Identify conflict management styles
- Manage the difficult and aggressive client.
- Identify the positive effects of conflict