Narcissism: Origins, Formulations, & Therapeutic Milestones | Webinar | 28 August 2020 | 09:00-12:00 (repeat)
This is a live webinar to be hosted by Vista Academy.
Date: 28 August 2020
Time: 09:00 – 12:00
Venue: Online (Vista Academy’s Online Learning Space via BigBlueButton)
Presenter: Dr Christine Laidlaw
HPCSA: 3 general CEUs (educational, counselling, clinical, industrial & research psychologists; registered counsellors; and psychometrists)
SACSSP: 2 CPD points
How a webinar works:
- Ensure that you have access to a device with a stable internet connection, screen and speakers (e.g. computer, laptop or smart phone). A mic is also recommended, to aid in asking questions. A headset is ideal.
- Once you have added the webinar to your cart, checked out and paid via PayFast, you will automatically be enrolled into the corresponding course on your Online Learning Space.
- You will receive an automated invoice and payment confirmation via e-mail (check your spam/junk folder if you don’t see this in your inbox).
- You will receive an instruction booklet and programme before the webinar, detailing steps on how to join the session, presentation slots and break times, so you can plan just when to make your cup of coffee.
- On the day of the webinar, log into your Online Learning Space using the username and password you chose when you first purchased training on our website (you can click here to log in). Make sure you have these credentials saved. We recommend testing your log-in before the time and contacting us if you need assistance, so that you don’t find yourself locked out on the day. If you need assistance on the day, please phone (012) 664 0222 x108, asking for Nicolene. You will then be assisted remotely.
- Select the webinar name from the drop-down menu called “My Courses” and you will then see the course page load.
- Click on the live streaming session link (blue) under the “Online Lessons Section” and then click “join session” to view the live stream of the webinar.
- Post any questions/comments on the live chat, or change your status to the “raised hand” to indicate you have a question for the Q&A session, at which point you will be addressed and you can unmute your mic to talk to the presenter.
- Attendance will be verified in various ways (e.g. check in/out, polls, quizzes, etc.) in order to ensure the value of the training session.
- Complete the evaluation form within 14 days of watching the webinar (you will find it on the course page).
- Your certificate (also to be found on the course page) will be available for download within 14 days of the webinar.
NB: The attainment of CEUs or CPD points does not license any professional to practise outside of their scope or competency. CPD training is intended to broaden the knowledge of professionals and does not constitute professional training. The responsibility to practise within their relevant scope remains with the professional, regardless of what CPD training they attend.
The opinions and views expressed in this webinar are those of the independent presenter and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or views of Vista Academy and its employees or trustees.
Out of stock
This webinar aims to provide mental health professionals with a wide and yet sophisticated theoretical and practical understanding of narcissism. Narcissism as it presents in ‘normal’ individuals and those individuals that meet the criteria of a DSM-5 personality disorder will be distinguished. The presentation sets out to enhance psychological formulation of patients; to provide contemporary guidelines and models of treatment and explore how to assist the ‘fragile-inflated’ individual practically in the consultation room. The wider effects of narcissism will be explored in the couple relationship, being the “used” child of a narcissist and/or parents who parent narcissistically as well as the implications of narcissism in our society and polity.
Importantly, this presentation will also address second-order ethics or relational ethics in terms of participants learning how to position themselves ethically when intervening when the identified client(s) are narcissistically vulnerable. This is vitally important as there are different degrees of narcissism which can present notable risk factors for the individuals themselves, their partners, and children – especially in high-conflict situations such as divorce, or stressful situations such as bankruptcy or where there is aggression potential or substance misuse. Relational boundaries and treatment frames of the client(s) and treatment system will be detailed.
Upon completion of this webinar, participants will have:
- The ability to identify narcissistic features in clients.
- The ability to make treatment decisions or appropriate referrals across the MDT.
- The ability to identify co-morbid disorders or interpersonal issues related to NPD.
- The capacity to formulate narcissism as applied to the individual client to inform an effective treatment plan.
- The ability to draw up a treatment plan with objectives and therapeutic process milestones in light of specific therapeutic interventions.