Being Affirmative of Sexual and Gender Diversity in Healthcare Practices (Online Course)
This is an online CPD course offered by Vista Academy.
Presenter: Prof Juan Nel
HPCSA: 3 general CEUs (psychologists, registered counsellors, and psychometrists) and other relevant professionals (cross recognition of CEUs)
How an online CPD course works:
- Ensure that you have access to a device with a stable internet connection, screen and speakers (e.g. computer, laptop or smartphone).
- The course consists of 2 video lessons and a short quiz.
- Watch all of the lessons at your own pace, then go to the quiz and answer all of the questions.
- Attain a final mark of 70% or more (you are allowed 3 attempts).
- Complete the evaluation form within 14 days of completing the course (you will find it on the course page).
- Your certificate (also to be found on the course page) will then be available for download within 14 days of completing the course.
This presentation will provide an overview of the ground-breaking Psychological Society of South Africa (PsySSA) practice guidelines for working with sexually and gender-diverse people. Towards contextualising the rationale for the guidelines, self-awareness of participants will be developed through experiential learning methodologies. Given time constraints, the emphasis will be on sexual orientation, more than gender identity and/or expression, towards demonstrating what constitutes hetero-cis-normativity in a patriarchal society and introducing the lived experiences of lesbian, gay and to a lesser extent bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people. Health and well-being issues, understanding LGBT ‘vulnerabilities’/ ‘at riskness’, and related ethics will be addressed within a human rights framework.
NB: The attainment of CEUs or CPD points does not license any professional to practise outside of their scope or competency. CPD training is intended to broaden the knowledge of professionals and does not constitute professional training. The responsibility to practise within their relevant scope remains with the professional, regardless of what CPD training they attend.
The opinions and views expressed in this course are those of the independent presenter and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or views of Vista Academy and its employees or trustees.